Tuesday 5 March 2013

Day 10 – Vision screening



Richard gets water for the chicks


Hakim is the son of Angel, who is Victoria's daughter

Arnold gives Pauline a hand with laundry

Just ask yourself: how many hearts will this guy win & break in the years to come?



Stymied by my efforts to purchase eye charts, I was able to download a couple of charts and print them on Victoria’s old printer.   It’s tough finding vision screening charts for download for kids, apart from a Dora chart which is useless for my purchases, as no BKU kids would know the characters.  So, I settle for a tumbling “E” chart which unfortunately only goes down to 20/30.  At least it’s a start.
neighbour boy hams it up

Alicia, Richard & Rubega lead cattle down the road to greener pastures

rush hour in Uganda


I teach Rose vision & ear examinations on the little ones, and it’s nice for a change to feel I have something valuable to teach her that will benefit the kids going forward.  We catch some of the older kids on their way home from school, and one poor girl’s vision is only a little better than 20/50.  She confirms it is hard seeing the blackboard sometimes at school.  Optometrist exam and prescription glasses for the kids that need them would be prohibitively expensive.  Fortunately, the Rotary clubs gather used eyeglasses and provide periodic clinics in this area.  At least we can identify the children who would benefit and try to ensure there is no serious ocular pathology contributing to the low vision.
Nurse's desk

Obama has his ears checked


During the afternoon I visit the little ones’ dorm where Rose is visiting and having her hair treatments completed.  The long braided yarn “extensions” are scrunched up into compact short cylinders, and the ends are burned with a candle.  The girls tell me the end result is easier to care for and will last about six months.
I lit my hair on fire once in university.  I probably needed the services of someone experienced like Auntie


Jovan enjoys a cuddle with nurse

Sanyu plays the xylophone

Rona thinks hard about the job at hand


During our late afternoon Skype session with Susan, a group of neighbourhood schoolgirls passing by on the road stop and gape at me having a conversation with the laptop.  They all gather about and ask a few questions about Canada and technology.  They were very intrigued that it could be morning hours in Florida while we were hitting early evening.
Obama vies for best dramatic peformance


There's my girl

It's hard being productive when you're so weighted down


Alicia has decided to try and stay another week or so at BKU.  I must fly out on the 9th.  I emailed our internet booking agent and asked them to look into making this change and provide us with reassurance Alicia could have someone direct her to her gate at any stopovers.  I am pleased she feels comfortable and competent enough to make this request.

Jovan

Obama

Sanyu


Quiet evening but very pleasant and I got some more Arnold hug time.  I do need to let you know that the mystery of the false alarm about Ivan’s accident has been solved.  I had discussed this on my day 6 post.  Victoria’s grandson Ivan, a young adult, was riding a boda boda that upset and slid underneath a truck, killing the driver.  Fortunately Ivan escaped with minor injuries.  Someone who was at the accident knew there was a connection with Victoria, but thought Ivan was her son.  The BKU kids are all referred to as Victoria’s sons & daughters, so she assumed the phonecall related to her adopted son, Ivan rather than her grandson.

I met Victoria’s brother, Herman, yesterday.  He is visiting from his home in Halifax, NS and we shared some stories & observations.  He has invited Alicia & I to dinner on Friday.

Rona

Jovan

Obama

Storeroom off the kitchen where Mr. Rat plays at night

just bummin' around

neighbour schoolkids pose for a pic

Rubega has worked to own a cellphone
 

2 comments:

  1. It is exciting to hear that Alisha is willing to stay on a while longer....stop crying Sue, she will be home soon enough. We have been faithfully reading your posts...what an amazing adventure you are both having. I am excited to hear that there may be accomodations close by to handle the group that may be attending next year. Hope you are able to get some much needed sleep tonight Alan.
    See you soon, Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Les. Sleep is improving. The Banana Village accommodations are really quite appealing.

    ReplyDelete